©2019 by Município de Vespasiano Corrêa.

Avenida Professor Sergio Beninho Gheno,1046
 Centro - Vespasiano Corrêa - RS
CEP: 95972-000
Fone: (51) 3755-8079

History

       The name of the municipality is a tribute to the engineer and Intendant "Dr. Vespasiano Correa", who has done great work by the local community. Vespasiano was head of the land and colonization commission, based in Guaporé and 1st Intendant of that municipality. He was the son of José Corrêa and Maria Carolina Corrêa, born in 1871 and had three brothers. He graduated in engineering in Rio de Janeiro and married Serafina Corrêa in the city of Rio Grande. From 1892, Vespasiano Corrêa headed the Land and Colonization Commission, being a trusted person of Borges de Medeiros.

       The colonization of Vespasiano Corrêa began in 1888, having been practically the last region colonized by immigrants coming directly from Italy, or through the Italian colonies of Garibaldi, Bento Gonçalves, Caxias do Sul and Veranópolis, as well as families of French and Polish origin. .

       In Official Letter 992 of 1896, Dr. Borges de Medeiros, who referred to the locality of Vespasiano Corrêa, called it New Hope. It belonged at the time to the municipality of Lajeado.

       On January 25, 1896, Encantado's Subentende, Juliem Laseux, in a letter addressed to the Lajeado Police Chief, designated the town "Good Hope Sting."


       None of these denominations prevailed, as the village was furnished under the top name "Hope" until 1907, when the 4th district of Guapore was created. The designation of "Dr." also not in force. It remained solely "Vespasiano Corrêa" until the present date.

      Even with the official denomination "Vespasiano Corrêa", the toponym "Hope", by virtue of habit, continued, and the old denomination is still rarely heard.

  • PARTICULARS


Gentile: Vespasianense


Population: 1,973 inhabitants (Census 2007)

Area of ​​the Municipality: 114 km²

Law of Creation: State Law No. 10,663 / 95, of December 28, 1995.

Date of Creation: December 28, 1995.

Date of Installation: January 1, 1997.

Municipality of Origin: Muçum / RS

Average Elevation: 519 meters

Distance from the capital: 170 km

Access Roads: Highway RS 129

  • Physical aspects


      Situated on the banks of RS-129, the city is characterized by the existence of depressions, where nature is still intact, there are waterfalls, deep valleys, native forests still inhabited by birds and wild animals.

  • Culture


       The municipality was colonized by Italian and Polish immigrants, preserves its gastronomic traditions. The pasta, the chicken and the polenta are remembered in the festive dinners and community events.


      There are several sights besides the natural beauty of the relief. On the banks of the Guaporé River, there is the Ferrovia do Trigo, where there are several tunnels and Viaduto 13, 509 meters long and 143 meters high, the largest in Latin America and the second highest in the world. Rip Devil Falls has a waterfall of 135 meters, where access is only possible through hiking.

      The access of the municipality is accompanied by plantains and horticultures, which give the place a refinement of beauty and harmony.

      Also noteworthy is Expovespa, a fair where Vespasian people exhibit their handicrafts, colonial products, typical gastronomy and regional shows and attractions.


Source: IBGE City Hall FAMURS WIKIPEDIA
Author of History: JONES DOMINGO BIANCHETTI